How do you know that the product experience that you are about to launch into the market place is going to deliver the expected result? Just because you have done all your research into the behaviour of your market doesn’t mean that your product will solve the the problem it was designed for.
Prototyping allows Product Managers to test their product ideas before a completed product is available, or before it is made available to a wide market.
In our first Product Talk for 2011, and out first breakfast Product Talk we will be looking at different types of prototyping, what the benefits are and how to save money and time.
When: 8:30am, Monday, 28th March 2011
Where: Brainmates HQ, 906 / 84 Pitt Street, Sydney
Limited places and registration is essential
We have 3 guest speakers lined up for the event:
- Hilary Cinis [Senior Web & Interface Designer, ABC iview]
- Hilary has been working in the online industry as a user experience and interface designer for almost 20 years.
- Her work has covered a large range of website and intranet designs, tutorial products, online stores, kiosks and portals and more recently IPTV, iPad and iPhone apps.
- Andrew Simpson [Principal | industrial designer | product engineer at Vert Design]
- Andrew has built a reputation for his elegant design aesthetic. He is constantly seeking new design projects, collaborating with some of Australia’s leading designers and entrepreneurs. After completing an honors degree in Industrial design from the University of Technology, he then built up a design consultancy, Vert Design.
- Rather than adopting a more conceptual approach to design he likes to design purely for its function and perfect the production quality for the end user. He uses simple forms that still contain elegance and free flowing curves. He is always looking for new designers and loves the integrated collaborative approach to design.
- He has worked with Sony, Diageo, Pernod Recard, Unilever, Nestle, Fosters and Sydney Water as well as various creative agencies such as JWT, Naked and Singletons.
- Jeff Rouse [Information Systems Development Manager, AUSTAR]
- With more than 16 years experience in the IT industry, Jeff has worked in permanent and contract roles in Australia and the UK. He has worked in industries including Engineering, Health, Media and Energy. However his passion has been in the communications and digital media industries where he has over 12 years experience.
- Jeff has worked with many technologies and across many IT disciplines during his career. With a focus in Systems and Database Administration, he has also worked as a Developer, Network Administrator, Systems Manager and Project Manager.
- In his current role with AUSTAR, he manages 30 developers across three teams.
- Jeff has a Bachelor of Information Technology from the Queensland University of Technology and an MBA from the University of Southern Queensland.
- He is the current Chair of the Bond University IT Industry Advisory Board.
As our first morning event we will would like to offer everyone a free coffee on arrival. Just select your order when you register your ticket.
If you have a question about the use of prototyping in product management please add it in the comments below or tweet it to @brainmates with the tag #bmtalk. We will add it to our panel discussion questions on the night.
This event is proudly sponsored by Ensemble Partners
About Product Talks
Brainmates started “Product Talks” in 2008 to facilitate conversations about the many common challenges faced by Product Managers. To fuel discussion, we’ve prepared a topic for each event. The sessions are generally led by Nick Coster or Paul Gray who asks a series of questions and occasionally voices his own opinion. We encourage open debate so the group can learn from us and each other. On occasions, “Product Talks” is led by a guest speaker.
“Product Talks” is also a networking function. We’re keen for Product Managers across different industries to meet up and exchange business cards. You never know where your next job offer will come from.
Please come with strong opinions and a desire to voice them!
There will also be a door prize draw for everyone who pre-registers and then provides their business card at the the event, so register now!